· After more than 30 years as a publications and communications professional, Jon has begun a new career ensuring clients’ messages are clearly understood, and properly spelled and constructed.
· In his spare time, Jon is a freelance travel writer and photographer, with numerous articles published in suburban Indianapolis weekly newspapers and magazines, Indianapolis Business Journal, and AAA Home & Away.
My writing roots
· Jon has a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from the University of Oklahoma, and a Master’s Degree in Telecommunications/Public Relations from Ball State University.
· For the past 20 years, Jon has served in the Marketing Division of Indianapolis-based St.Vincent Health, Indiana’s largest faith-based health system, where he was responsible for internal communications to more than 18,000 employees. He was also responsible for external communications to a wide range of audiences, including quarterly magazines and e-newsletters. His interest in history was also useful as the health system’s historian, and many at St. Vincent looked to him to make sure their messages were properly written.
· Before joining St. Vincent, Jon served 10 years as publications editor for Methodist Hospital of Indiana (now IU Health Methodist Hospital) in Indianapolis. In addition to producing award-winning collateral items for Indiana’s largest hospital, he was responsible for media relations where he responded to several crisis situations. He also served five years with American Fletcher National Bank (now JPMorgan Chase Indiana), where he was responsible for financial communications, media relations and internal communications.
· He also served as Director of Public Relations for Garrison, Jasper, Rose & Company, an Indianapolis-based business-to-business advertising agency, where he generated hundreds of inquiries of clients’ products by using a wide range of public relations tools.
Jon understands that clear, concise communications are vital to an organization’s reputation and professionalism.